If you would like to help solve our planets most pressing problems today, consider the giving options below — many of which have financial and personal benefits to you.
Grant recommendation from your donor advised fund
You can now initiate a grant recommendation from your donor advised fund, or DAF, using the link below. Simply start typing in your fund provider name and the system will prompt you through the process.
Qualified charitable distribution (QCD)
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to the Union of Concerned Scientists. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure our work of fighting against special interests with science. Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to the Union of Concerned Scientists so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 73 or older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support the Union of Concerned Scientists, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
Memorial tribute gift
When you give a memorial or tribute gift for the Union of Concerned Scientists to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration, and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and fight for the health and safety of future generations. You can use our online form to make a memorial or tribute gift.
Gifts of securities
You can use stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to support our shared vision. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock. Learn more about gifts of stock here.
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support the Union of Concerned Scientists. You benefit from a charitable tax credit while taking positive action to foster independent, science-based solutions that improve people’s lives. You can make your gift online with our Donate Now form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
Union of Concerned Scientists
2 Battle Square
Cambridge, MA 02138-3780
If you’re sending a check or money order, please let us know if you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
Complimentary Planning Resources
Learn more about easy ways to leave a legacy with our free guides!