Gifts that Cost You
Nothing Now

Leave a gift in your will or trust or by beneficiary designation

Gifts in a will and gifts by beneficiary designation are two easy ways to make gifts that will have an impact on the role of science in public opinion and policy making for generations to come — and they don’t cost anything now.

Gifts in a will or trust

A gift in your will or trust is one of the easiest ways to make a powerful and lasting statement about the importance of conducting rigorous technical analyses, developing policies to address some of today’s most pressing problems, and advocating for change by educating decision makers and helping to shape public opinion. 


No Cost

Costs you nothing now to give in this way.



You can alter your gift or change your mind at any time and for any reason.


Lasting Impact

Your gift will create your legacy of fighting for science-based decision making.

4 simple, “no-cost-now” ways to give in your will:

General gift in your will

Leaves a gift of a stated sum of money in your will or living trust. For example, you might decide to leave each of your grandchildren $10,000. It’s considered to be ‘general’ because it doesn’t specify from where the money comes.

Residual gift in your will

Leaves what is left over after all other debts, taxes, and other expenses have been paid.

Specific gift in your will

Leaves a specific dollar amount, percentage, fraction, or specific items (collections, art, books, jewelry, and so on).

Contingent gift in your will

Leaves a stated amount or share only if a spouse, family member or other heir/beneficiary does not live longer than you. In other words, your gift is contingent upon whether or not they survive after you.

You can mix these no-cost ways together. For example, you might consider leaving a specific percentage (such as 50%) of the residual to Union of Concerned Scientists contingent upon the survival of your spouse and other loved ones.

If you have included UCS as a beneficiary of your will or trust, we hope you will let us know so that we can thank you and welcome you to the Kurt Gottfried Society. You can contact us at (617) 301-8095 or or use our legacy gift commitment form.

Gifts by beneficiary designation

It’s easy to put your bank accounts, retirement funds, savings bonds, and more to use in creating a world informed and inspired by the Union of Concerned Scientists  — and it costs nothing now.

By naming the Union of Concerned Scientists as a beneficiary of these assets, you power our approach to defend the world with science, before it’s too late. Your gift impacts the survival of mankind through the Union of Concerned Scientists and becomes your personal legacy to the world.

Potential benefits of gifts by beneficiary designation:

Reduce or eliminate taxes on retirement assets

Reduce or avoid
probate fees

No cost to you now
to give

Create your legacy with the Union of Concerned Scientists

To name the Union of Concerned Scientists as a beneficiary of your retirement plan or other financial plan, contact your bank or insurance company to see whether a change of beneficiary form must be completed.

How to change a beneficiary designation:

  1. Login to your account or request a Change of Beneficiary Form from your custodian (the business holding your money or assets).
  2. Follow the links to change your beneficiary or fill out the form.
  3. Be sure to spell the name of our organization properly:
    Union of Concerned Scientists
  4. Include our tax identification number:
  5. Save or submit your information online or return your Change of Beneficiary Form.
  6. Inform us of your gift by contacting us at (617) 301-8095 or or use our legacy gift commitment form.

Types of gifts

Retirement funds (beneficiary of your retirement plan)

You can simply name Union of Concerned Scientists as a beneficiary of your retirement plan to fight for the future of the world.

A gift of funds remaining in your bank accounts, brokerage accounts or certificate of deposit (CD)

This is one of the easiest gifts to give and one of the most useful in accomplishing what you want – putting science into action to build a healthier planet and a safer world. The next time you visit your bank, you can name the Union of Concerned Scientists (Tax ID: 04-2535767) as the beneficiary of a checking or savings bank account, a certificate of deposit (CD), or a brokerage account. When you do, you’ll take a powerful step toward fighting for the place of science in decision-making for generations to come.

Donor Advised Fund (DAF) residuals

What remains in a donor-advised fund is governed by the contract you completed when you created your fund. When you name the Union of Concerned Scientists as a “successor” of your account or a portion of your account value, you become a champion for science and a defender of truth.

Savings bonds

If you have bonds that have stopped earning interest and you plan to redeem them, you might owe income tax on the appreciation. That could result in your heirs receiving only a fraction of the value of the bonds in which you invested. Since the Union of Concerned Scientists is a tax-exempt institution, naming us as a beneficiary means that 100% of your gift will go toward addressing some of today’s most pressing problems.

Complimentary Planning Resources

Learn more about easy ways to leave a legacy with our free guides!

Need assistance? We're here to help!

The Planned Giving Team
The Planned Giving Team

The content found on this site is general in nature and intended to be used for informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon as legal, tax, accounting or other professional advice. To determine how a gift or estate planning decision might affect your particular circumstances, it is expressly recommended that you consult an attorney, financial advisor or other qualified professional.